Nina Erwin awarded Spiegel Graduate Fellowship

Nina Erwin, a second-year graduate student in the department of pharmaceutics, has been awarded a fellowship from the Dr. Allen Spiegel Graduate Endowment in Pharmaceutical Research. The award will support her graduate studies in the University of Florida College of Pharmacy.

Nina ErwinErwin’s research is focused on enhancing the production and functionalization of extracellular vesicles for therapeutic applications. She is mentored by Mei He, Ph.D., an assistant professor of pharmaceutics in the UF College of Pharmacy.

“I am incredibly grateful and honored to be awarded the Spiegel Fellowship,” said Erwin. “Receiving this award emboldens me to continue with my research endeavors to impact my field. I would also like to thank the Spiegel family for their support and generosity.”

The A.J. Spiegel Foundation pledged $1 million in 2006 to establish the UF College of Pharmacy’s first-ever graduate endowment benefiting students in the department of pharmaceutics. Spiegel earned his Ph.D. in pharmacy from UF in 1957 and retired as senior director of international patent operations from Pfizer Inc., where he worked for 43 years. He also served on the UF College of Pharmacy’s National Advisory Board before his death in 2011. My research is focused on enhancing the production and functionalization of extracellular vesicles for therapeutic applications.